Wednesday, December 10, 2008

History of News wiki

Almost exactly a year ago I came home from a conference in Bremen and set about establishing a wiki with the purpose of sharing information from and about the early modern newspaper press. You can find it here. In odd moments since I've been posting transcriptions and summaries of news stories from early modern newspapers, and in particular from the Nieuwe Tijdinghen.

Having tried it out, I'm not convinced that the wiki format offers any benefit over xml tagging beyond a low user threshold (but wikis only come into their own on collaborative projects, and so far nobody else has contributed anything to this, so my mind is not entirely made up yet).

I got an email today about this picture, which ties in very nicely with this news story.

No comments: